Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Dungeness RSPB, Kent, 30th July


Today I had to choose from RSPB Peregrine Falcon raptor watchpoint at Tate Modern in London, Red-backed Shrike at Croxley Common Moor in Heretfordshire and Dungeness. I chose Dungeness, because I have been dying for propper birding for three weeks. It appealed to me more than standing around looking at one bird all the time and not much else around.Had a great time there and in total I saw 37 species, all fantastic. One bird really annoyed me the most though, Linnets, not being good at all at bird calls and songs, the small flocks of tweetering finches that never landed in view drove me crazy! Near the end I managed to confirm my thoughts and put the name, Linnet to them when one sat on a stone for two seconds. Along the entrance track we saw a Kestrel hunting and Swallows feeding on insects in mid-flight just by our car. At the car park, the birds that I later identified as Linnets flew about, along with a few unconfirmed but probable Yellowhammers (whenever I see one of these it is very exciting as me and this species generally are not compatable and I seem unable to ever find one without it being stuck infront of my face). Looking out through the visitor centre viewpoint I could see Lapwings, eclipse Tufted Duck, Coots, various Gulls, Great-crested Grebe, Mute Swan, Cormorant, Carrion Crow and a Woodpigeon and a Pied Wagtail. We first went to the recently re-built hide where we saw much the same thing but with a Grey Wagtail and a Yellow Wagtail as extra topping and some distant sleeping Pochard as well as distant Grey Heron. Later on we saw Marsh Harrier, Common Sandpiper, Meadow Pipit and Sedge Warbler.

No comments: