Friday, April 20, 2007

Carshalton Update

Hi all,
I am just updating on the Carshalton Ponds nesting birds situation, which you may not remember because I posted the story on birdnut.me.uk, well basically a family of Moorhens have been nesting on one of my local patches for a few years and year after year after year the nest has been damaged by something either fugs or rats. They only ever manage to get some of the young to survive if the strongest ones out of all their broods that they have to keep having every year because the nest keeps getting destroyed survive. The sad news this year is, there is no nest and only one adult, so what happened to the partner, did he/she get killed or have they both moved on and another bird came in? We do not know... but the good news is there is a pair of Little Grebes nesting on the ponds which is pretty rare for the Wandle; certainly Carshalton Ponds. I will keep you updated on this.
Birdnut

No comments: