Saturday, May 12, 2007

Beddington SF 6/5/07

Today I decided to go to a site that is just a couple of miles away from me and is very excellent, but i have never been there before. In fact it has recently had a first for Britain, the Glaucous-winged Gull that had been seen at several sites across Britain. But of course there was absolutely no hope of seeing it, but there was a Glaucous Gull. I was a bit put of by the smell and graffiti and the beer cans speared on the fence posts but still decided to carry on, we thought we saw a cat in front of us, dashing past but it turned out to be a little Fox cub! As we went on I heard a Chiffchaff singing, eventually I located it and got some decent shots of it, normally I am hopeless at warbler photography. We found the viewpoint and had a quick scan of the lake, finding Cormorants, Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Coots, Mallards and other waterfowl. Soon, I noticed some Tree Sparrows, I haven't seen this species since January at Martin Mere in Lancashire, so this was probably the bird of the day. There were about 5 to ten fighting over the feeder. I saw many finches flying around such as Goldfinches and Greenfinches. At the end of the day I managed 37 species, which is pretty good for me in just an hour of birding.

No comments: