Monday, September 17, 2007

A Pectoral Sandpiper and many more at Pulborough

We went down to see the Pectoral which was meant to be showing at Pulborough after we went to Nonsuch (read about my trip there on the Nonsuch blog).
As I waited for mum and dad to get ready I watched the feeding station for a while, this produced, great views of Nuthatch, Great, blue and Coal Tits as well and Chaffinches and a dunnock. We hardly saw anything bird wise on the way down apart from a beautiful Nuthatch hammering a nut, this was the first timer I have seen this behaviour and I was very pleased to watch this. But slightly earlier on, we did see a pretty grusome sight, a poor, mangey old Rabbit, with flies all over it, struggling to stay alive. This upset us and we soon moved on (after seeing everything and coming back, we found it lying dead, with blood spilling out of its head and a thick stick next to it, someone was brave enough to put it out of its misery). Once we got to Jupp's view, I asked if the Sandpiper was still there and guess what! With my luck, yes, it had just flown off! I was devastated and went to the next hide as advised, for a chance of seeing it. We got there, I asked if it was showing and those magic words ' Yes, very well, look through the scope here' replied. I looked through and sure enough, there was a short legged, heavily streaked on the chest, intricately patterned juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper, this was such a relief!
Life list 194, well actually I have now deccided the Wood Sandpiper I saw a year ago was probably a Redshank, so 193, no loss, no gain, but still a great bird. Just seven to go until 200. Anyway, you could compare it very well to the Ruffs next to it. There was also at least 500 Greylag Geese and at least 300 Canada Geese, probably far more as I normally under-estimate.Ringed Plover were showing well in the same vicinity as the Pectoral. There were 3 Grey Heron about 100 Wigeon (again probably far more)At least 30 Teal (I reckon there mustreally have been around 200 more that I didn't see, or count well). 2 Gadwall, 1 eclipse mael and one female. 100+ Starling, 4 Cormorant, 50+ Jackdaw, 18 Black-tailed Godwits, at least 20 Shovelers (again, probably way more),3 Mute Swans, 1 Common Gull, 5 Black-headed Gulls (3 adult winters and two 2nd winters) and 11 Snipe all feeding out in the open. It was fantastic! Not to mention Linnets and many, many Pied Wagtails. On the way back I saw a Chiffchaff, which gave good views, 4 full white feral pigeons, Herring Gulls over head and 6+ Rook over too. Absolutely classic! It was a great day.

1 comment:

DeesidedlyBirds said...

that sounds like a better day than I had, sob sob. Well done, and a great read. Any plans to celebrate the 200? I see you're getting messages from Blogger in German as well as me!